ACIDIC, ALKALINE AND NEUTRAL
- Different substances have different chemical properties.
- Substances can be classified as having these properties:
3. A substance can be tested to see if it is acidic, alkaline or neutral using a litmus paper.
- An acidic substance has a sour taste.
- It change blue litmus paper to red.
- If the acidic substance is tested with a red litmus paper, no colour change will be seen.
- A strong acidic is corrosive and can burn the skin.
|apple cider vinegar|
Figure 1: Acidic substances
- Alkaline substances taste bitter and feel 'soapy' to touch.
- It change red litmus paper to blue.
- If the alkaline substance is tested with a blue litmus paper, no colour change will be seen.
- A strong alkaline is corrosive and can burn the skin.
- A neutral substance does not have an acidic or alkaline properties.
- It will not change the colour of blue or red litmus paper.
- If an acidic substance is mixed with an alkaline substance, a neutral substance is formed.
Figure 3: Neutral substances